The Society for Personality and Social Psychology, founded in 1974, is the world’s largest organization of social and personality psychologists. With over 7,500 members, SPSP strives to advance the science, teaching, and application of social and personality psychology.
The core focus of SPSP is to serve its members through educational events, networking opportunities, resources, science funding, publication and promotion of research, and mentoring the next generation of social and personality psychologists.
The following Strategic Plan was developed by a Task Force, chaired by Richard Petty, in 2017. Approved in August 2017, the following Mission, Core Values, Goals and Objectives represent the current focus of SPSP.
The mission of SPSP is to advance the science, teaching, and application of social and personality psychology. SPSP members aspire to understand individuals in their social contexts for the benefit of all people.
- Innovation, rigor, transparency, and integrity in our science, education, and application.
- Constructive scientific discourse.
- Diversity and inclusiveness of people and ideas.
Goals and Objectives
1. Promote scientific research in personality and social psychology
- Publish relevant journals.
- Host annual convention/preconferences and regional meetings.
- Provide research grants to members.
- Recognize scientific merit with awards.
- Promote best practices to foster innovation, rigor, transparency, and integrity.
- Support forums for constructive scientific discourse.
2. Promote education, training, mentoring, and varied career opportunities in personality and social psychology
- Foster continuing professional education and development through conferences, workshops, and other events.
- Support summer institutes (e.g., SISPP) and specialized workshops.
- Support teaching and mentoring through grants, awards, and other activities.
- Develop academic and non-academic career resources.
3. Enhance diversity of people and ideas in the field and promote an inclusive and respectful climate
- Provide research, travel, and other support for diverse groups.
- Foster international collaborations and exchanges.
- Periodically review priorities for defining diversity.
- Assess, develop policies, and provide guidelines to facilitate a positive climate in the field.
4. Increase the public and scientific impact of the field to benefit society
- Prepare and distribute information explaining contributions of the field.
- Host a centralized website organized by expertise.
- Maintain a social media presence.
- Advocate for funding and policies that expand the reach of the field.
5. Maintain an effective and efficient organization to benefit the field
- Collect and maintain field-relevant data.
- Maintain an endowment to foster our mission, values, and goals.
- Follow transparent and prudent financial practices (e.g., align income with expenses).
- Align the income and expenditures of the Society with SPSP’s mission, values, and goals.
To download SPSP's Mission, Core Values, Goals and Objectives, click here.